As a benefit of your service, the Department of Veterans Affairs offers unique resources to help those with military experience purchase a home.
VA loans are available to finance 100% of the purchase price of a home. This means no down payment is required. It is important to note that buyers will still need to qualify for the loan. This means that we will look at credit and ability to pay the mortgage but requirements are much less strict than other loan options.
The VA Loan process
A VA loan works the same as most other home purchases, with a buyer making a written offer to purchase a home under specific conditions (price, closing cost assistance, other contingencies), and then going through an approval process with a lender. The key difference with a VA loan is that the Department of Veterans Affairs requires that all homes purchased through this program meet certain habitability requirements. These are inspected by the appraiser, and generally conform to similar requirements that an FHA home loan would require.
Issues with the home do not necessarily mean that the buyer cannot use the VA loan, just that repairs will need to be done before the home purchase can be completed. The VA recently started offering a VA loan to be used for homes that need renovation on a limited basis.
VA Key Points
- Almost always the best rate vs other programs for the same borrower
- Purchase your home with as little as 0% down payment.
- Jumbo VA loans available.
- VA Streamline Refinance with a reduced funding fee and flexible documentation requirements – available for veterans currently in VA loans.
- No monthly PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance)
- Pay your mortgage off at any time without pre-payment penalties.
**Montezuma Mortgage is not affiliated with or acting on behalf of or at the direction of FHA, VA, USDA or the Federal Government.